Syros Page 5
Grammata Bay is only reachable by sea but has a very nice and quiet beach. Easily reached by bus and quite crowded is sandy Galissa and next door Armeos the small, rocky, nude beach.
Buses go to Kini on the west coast. It has two sandy beaches and is popular for sunset watching. There's a taverna famous for its authentic bouzouki music.
Poseidonia or Delagratsia, is a coastal area with the good beach of Angathopes and neo-classical houses of interest. Vari has an attractive beach. Finikas Bay mentioned in Homer, is a gritty sandy beach. Megas Gialos is shady and family oriented. There are good swimming beaches at Kimata, Agios Nikolaos, Ambela, Delfini and Ahladi.
Drinking and Dining
In Ano Syros, dine at Lilli's for an excellent view and local cuisine.
There are several excellent tavernas in Vrodado. The Nest or Folia Taverna is considered the island's best with fresh game such as rabbit and pigeon and locally grown legumes.
- Loukoumia: sweet rose, quince or pistachio flavored squares, also known as Turkish Delight
- Halvadopitas: sweet molasses flavored flaky nougat
- San Michaeli Cheese (like Romano)
- Louza sausages
- Local liqueurs: Grandma's or "Yaya's" brand is delicate but authoritative
- Locally made moonshine: Tsipouro!!!!